Sunday, September 18, 2011

Wasatch Mountain State Park: Visitor's Center and Spring Pond Loop

Distance:  Approximately 2 miles
Elevation Gain: Not that much.  We need an altimeter.
Time:  About an hour and a half
General Impression:  Beautiful!  This was easy and nice for a short afternoon hike.

This weekend we decided at about 10:00AM on Saturday morning that we were going camping for the night.  We didn't actually arrive at Wasatch Mountain State Park until probably around 2:00PM or something like that, and after setting up our tent and everything, we didn't have all that much time left before it would start getting dark.  We decided to do a quick hike while we still had the time.  Right across from the visitor's center are a few well-marked trails that we walked along for about an hour and a half.  We started on what they call the Visitor's Loop and then took a small detour around the Spring Pond loop.


It was lovely.  The colors have started to turn and every now and then we were greeted with a splash of red or yellow.  We walked along a well-maintained but narrow dirt/mud path with tall grasses tickling our legs.  And of course, we were very impressed with the mountain views.

I had my DSLR camera with me, which I haven't taken hiking until now.  It was nice to have it and be able to take beautiful pictures, but it slowed me down and I think Steve got a bit impatient with me.  We certainly got some beautiful pictures, though!  Overall it was a very pretty and easy hike that I would definitely recommend if you're in the area!  Apparently you can also do some apple picking which could be fun.  We didn't see anyone else on the trail, by the way.


1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    I came across your blog and found it to be a great resource for finding places to hike in Utah. I run a non profit website called Trail WIKI. Our goal is to provide information on hiking trails throughout the United States. I would love to talk about the possibility of using your blogs content.

    Sorry for leaving this in a comment but I did not see an email address or contact form.

    Please check out our site at www.trailwiki.org

    Happy Trails
    Mike Brawley

    ReplyDelete